HBU News is the University’s flagship publication, reaching an audience of over 30,000 donors, alumni, students, faculty, staff, and friends. As such, the magazine serves as a critical means of communicating the goals, values, and priorities of the institution to all constituents.
Key Role: Creative Direction, Storyboard, Writing
- Create a sense of energy and momentum to drive engagement
- Increase readership and general interest
- Moved away from donor-centric content, toward content that would engage average readers
- Utilized bold colors, dynamic layouts
- Reduced clutter by breaking up text, incorporating visual aids to support and reduce body copy, more white space, and clearer hierarchy of information
- Elevated the quality of photography and typography, and gave them more real estate
HBU News does not use a subscription model, so metrics for readership are not available. However, during my time working on the publication, compliments from constituencies became more frequent and more adulating. Several issues were praised by long-time readers as “the best one yet” in the University’s 50 year history.